I often get asked by my clients is what to wear? It can be really stressful getting it right and keeping the family happy too. To help you when you book in your next session I have written some hints I like to give my clients after all the years of experience photographing families.
As the cooler weather has started to set in, I wanted to give you specific idea of what you can wear for an outdoor session this Autumn season. These are purely ideas for you to get some ideas from, I am not suggesting you run out and buy your whole family all new clothes, shoes and accessories, as thats a little too crazy. I simply want to give you some visual aids.
AVOID WEARING ALL ONE COLOUR
1. Try to avoid everyone wearing all of the same colour. Like all white or all black.
AVOID LARGE CLOTHING LABELS
2. Avoid large labels on T-shirts like Quicksilver or Nike, this is distracting from your faces and we aren’t selling the clothing labels.
BE WARY OF TOO MANY STRIPES AND PATTERNS
3. Try and steer away from lots of stripes, checkers and patterns. If the whole family wears checkers it can be too overwhelming.
WEAR YOUR STYLE
4. You have to make sure you feel comfortable as goes with your children if you force them into outfits they don’t like it can have an adverse reaction to the mood of the session for everyone.
5. Don’t go over the top, this is a hard one for fashionistas. You need your outfits to be timeless so your photographs can be enjoyed for longer.
LAYERING ADDS STYLE AND COLOUR
6. Layering is a great way to add style and colour to your outfits. Scarves, jewellery, shoes etc.
DRESS WEATHER APPROPRIATE
7. Dress for the season, no boots and coats for a summer beach session.
DRESS LOCATION APPROPRIATE
8. Dress for the location. Indoors session/ beach location. Think about the locations and plan accordingly.
BRING BACKUP CLOTHES
9. Bring some backups clothes for those just in case moments we all know happens. Make sure to bring along some cardigan’s or jumpers for everyone even in summer sessions for 2 reasons it can get cold at sunset and sometimes mosquitos can be out.
LAY OUT ALL THE OUTFITS TOGETHER TO SEE WHAT THEY WILL LOOK LIKE
10. Lay out your families outfits on a bed and see what they look like. You need to visualise the outfits before your session. And please make sure you try them on kids grow super fast and if your little ones pants are too high and socks are showing it will come out in the photo.
Last but not least if you are totally freaking out lay out the clothes and the different options photograph them and send them to your photographer. Its in their best interest that you love your outfits as much as it is for you.
To shop the looks I have created check out the below stores below.
If you are wanting to book your family for a session or want to book a ‘Mummy and Me’ session please get in contact here 🙂